HOW GARDENS WILL BE ASSESSED
Gardening can do more than beautify our surroundings; it can improve and support our environment. Every design and maintenance decision is an opportunity to garden more sustainably. The Beautification Committee is promoting sustainable landscaping by including sustainability criteria as part of the judging process. Here are a few of the items judges will be looking for:
• Sustainable practices such as drip irrigation, rain barrels, and compost bins
• Native, sustainable plants (trees, shrubs, and flowers) that attract wildlife
• Placement of plants to ensure room enough to grow to the correct height
• Planting plans that are well laid out with neat pathways
• Creative layout of plantings which include unique features
• Proper mulch layer and appropriate groundcover to keep weeds down
• Correct pruning of plants
• Overall aesthetic quality
Judges have criteria for judging and the ability to give extra credit to those gardeners that use sustainable practices.
Enjoy your gardening and we look forward to seeing the results of your efforts!